Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Staycation

So many things are last minute in Korea.  For me, I didn't know when I would have winter camp until the middle of December.  After that, I was able to plan for my winter vacation days.  I get 10 days off (which I thought was only 9 because I used some hours for personal leave from school).  Because of when camp was scheduled and with the holidays and such, I took the day after Christmas off and then I would have off from January 20-31.  Two full weeks off!  But by the time I knew the dates and considering it coincided with the Lunar New Year holiday airplane tickets home were too expensive!  Beyond that I just couldn't decide on another place to travel to that wasn't going to be too expensive besides maybe Hong Kong.  I still want to go to Hong Kong to visit with friends, but at the time I had to make the decision is just didn't seem like the right time.  So I choose to stay in Busan, save money, and tour my city.  My "staycation" was perfect for me.

I spent the majority of the first week in my apartment being lazy and just enjoying the downtime.  A little grocery shopping during the week and a trip to Nampo is really all that I accomplished during the first week.

I was determined to not let my second week be the same way.  On Monday, I forced myself out of the house and went hiking just behind my house.  It was so good to get outside in the fresh air and explore some of the trails that wind up the mountain behind where I live.  I also got some awesome pictures of where I live.

From there, the next three days were filled with lots of time on public transportation (hours and hours literally) and a chance to discover my city.  During my winter vacation I went to Yongdusan Park, Nampo, Subway in Yangsan, Taejongdae Park, Oryukdo Islands, and Gamcheon Cultural Village.  I even had a beautiful spring-like day to clean my apartment completely and get it organized.  It was exactly what I needed.  I loved having the time to relax a lot but to also discover so many treasures of my city.

I realized during this time that I didn't take the time to be a tourist in Hong Kong.  I wish I would have, but I know I will go and visit at some point and I can do some of what I missed when I go back.  While exploring my city, I really started to fall in love Busan in a new way.  I got to see what makes this city so special and different.  I got to see so much of the city that I do not see on a day to day basis as I go to and from work.  Even on the weekends, I've seen a lot but this was what I needed.  It made me desire to get to know the people here just as much as I am getting to know the areas.  It renewed my desire to learn Korean (which is great since I'm starting a new class today) and to spend the time to get to know the people who make this city what it is. I really love Busan and am enjoying my time here.  I'm so thankful for the time I have here to see the beauty of the city as well as to have the opportunity to work daily with among Koreans!  It's a unique opportunity for me and I'm so thankful for it! My "staycation" was just what I needed.  I'm so thankful that things were late and crazy so I spent the time here instead of somewhere else in Asia.  Don't get me wrong, I still want to continue to travel throughout Asia, but I really loved the time spent discovering Busan first.  The rest of Asia is still to come!

No comments: