Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

John and Julie's wedding

One of the most difficult parts of moving overseas is missing out on holidays, birthdays, and other special days among family and friends.  Before signing my contract with EPIK, one of my biggest struggles was knowing that by signing the contract I was agreeing to being away from family for Christmas.  As I posted in January, Christmas wasn't the same but it was still wonderful.  My family did a great job of helping me feel included and still very much apart of the celebration as a family.

Well during my process of moving to Korea, my cousin John got engaged with the date set for February.  I held out hope until about October that I would be able to arrange my winter vacation break to be able to attend the wedding.  However, once I realized that we had a spring term to teach I knew it would be impossible.  I was going to miss another opportunity to be with my entire family on my dad's side as well as missing out on the first wedding among all of my first cousins on my dad's side.  But like I said, it's part of what happens with you move overseas.

My family though is incredible about helping me feel like I'm part of each special event.  John set up a live stream of his wedding so I wouldn't miss out!  It was incredible.  It was like sitting in the church with family while I was sitting in my bed over 7,100 miles away!  I could hear and see everything.  Then after the wedding I skyped with my mom so I could hear and somewhat see what was happening while they were taking pictures.  I got to talk to a few different people including the bride!  I even got in a few family pictures!  I mean who else has someone on Skype on the phone in their family pictures?  I'm sure it doesn't happen often.  I'm not sure you can even tell its me on the phone, but for me it was the fact that my family wanted to include me as well.  That they didn't mind that when others look at the picture they won't understand why someone was holding up a phone in the picture.  I was included.  I was part of the wedding, even from South Korea.  I'm so thankful for my family and the work they put in to make sure that happened.  I'm also extremely thankful for the technology that makes it happen!

Oh and I even got my own wedding pictures!

Vows
Exchanging of rings 
Presenting Mr. and Mrs. John Chapman!! 
Time for pictures.  The quality dropped dramatically from the streaming to Skype.  So thankful I was on streaming for the ceremony and not Skype :)

Beautiful wedding cake!
Cutting the cake
Grooms cake - Go Dawgs!!
Congratulations John and Julie!  And thanks for helping me be part of your special day!  Wishing you all the best for years to come!

1 comment:

Joy said...

It is amazing what technology can do! And I love it!