Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

An Angry Sea and Lots of Laughs

Nicole and I both decided we needed another Saturday of hiking.  We headed back to the very first place we went together, Igidae.  I told Nicole I thought we should start at the skywalk at Oryukdo Islands.  First, though we met at Kyungsung Unversity where our church meets and we had Korean BBQ.  We planned to order beef but evidently you can't order off the menu for lunch but had to choose a set.  So we ate a LOT of pork and some mushrooms.  So much food and it was good, but next time we need to find a Korean BBQ where we can order beef.  I just like beef better than pork.

Hong Kong my other Asian home :)
2,028 km in this direction to get to Hong Kong!
Then we headed down to Oryukdo Islands.  One of the first things I noticed was that the sea was really rough.  The waves were much bigger and were crashing higher up on the rocks.  Below the skywalk, there is a walkway that leads down almost to the water.  I went all the way to the bottom the last time I came here.  This time the two lower levels were getting wet from the waves.  It was crazy how different it was.





From the skywalk, we started our hike through Igidae.  Last time, we started on the other side and felt like we had walked a good bit.  We had hiked less than a third of it.  And this time, I'm sooooooo thankful we started on the side we did.  We did a lot of hiking down hills and down stairs through the first half.  I doubt I would have been able to make it if we had hiked the other way and had to walk up all those hills and stairs.  I know where I always want to start at now!











The hike was fantastic albeit windy.  We had several views to sit and watch the angry sea with the huge waves.  I could have sat and watched the waves for hours.  The power behind them was incredible.  We did sit in several spots for long stretches of time.  There are a few places that when the waves hit just right the water splashed up high above us.  Our goal was to get pictures and videos of this.  We finally did, but we missed several really good waves as well.  **Update: My videos won't post right now.  I will try again later :( But here is a picture Nicole  was able to capture of the water flying high above the rocks.





As always, I took lots of pictures and find it hard to narrow down to just a few, so enjoy some of the pictures I just couldn't not post of my day spent hiking at Igidae.







I could've watched for hours.


These two waves just don't do it justice to show how big they were.  And these were not the biggest we saw.  I just didn't have my camera ready when I saw the largest ones.  





1 comment:

Joy said...

Beautiful! I can see why you wanted to go back there.