Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Mail

So I have a pretty awesome mom.  It's not that I haven't already known this, but there are times that I am reminded.  The last month has been another testament to her awesomeness.  Unbeknownst to me, she sent out my mailing address to friends and family members so they could send me Christmas cards if they wanted to.  Now granted there was a slight mistake in the address she sent out so it might have taken the cards a little longer than normal to get here but either way they made it.  It's has been fantastic to get so many in the mail and to check my mailbox and have something other than a bill  there!  My mom is really pretty fantastic.                                                
My mom and dad sent my first card, a Halloween card, back in October.  It was sent to make sure I had the correct address and that even when addressed in English mail would arrive to me at home.  The card has been on the door between my kitchen and bedroom ever since.  Well my Christmas cards and letters have joined it.  It's been great to start filling this door up!  And move have arrived since I took this picture :)

But mail is a peculiar thing here.  Koreans address their mail in the reverse order of Americans.

American order:
Caroline Thomas
797 Jugong 1, Apt. 103-1106
Busanjin-gu, Danggam 4-dong
South Korea, Busan 614-766

Korean order:
South Korea, Busan 614-766
Busanjin-gu, Danggam 4-dong
797 Jugong 1, Apt. 103-1106
Caroline Thomas

When my mom sent my Halloween card, about 3-4 days later she also sent me a package.  In between those two mailings I researched and found out about the reverse order.  So the Halloween card was addressed using the American order and the package was sent using the Korean order.  The package arrived almost a week before the card!  Granted they both arrived, but I quickly learned to make sure I share the Korean order to make sure the cards and packages arrive in a more timely fashion.

But in all fairness, the Korean post office service is fantastic.  Packages are brought to the security person at my apartment.  Then they call me to come and pick them up. And all cards and packages have arrived that were sent (well at least to the best of my knowledge they have) even if parts of the address were missing.  I've have cards sent missing my city and even had a package sent missing the city and zip code and yet they have all arrived to me.  It's pretty incredible.

One more note about the Korean order.  I think it reflects the collective mentally of the culture.  It is not an individualistic society.  It is not about putting yourself first but putting the people of Korea first.  In a way they view themselves as one huge Korean family and therefore watch out for and work for the better of the whole than the individual.  It is vastly different from American culture.  It's reflected here as they put South Korea well before the individual person.  It is about the country, then the city, the area of the city, my neighborhood, my building, and then me.  It's a small glimpse into the worldview of Koreans. 



1 comment:

Joy said...

Your mom is indeed amazing, and she gave me your address but I didn't get my act together in time to send you a Christmas card. Maybe when you least expect it, though...