The day ended up being a great day. I found a Christmas tree at the beginning of December which was absolutely a blessing to me for the entire month. It was great to have a semblance of Christmas around me. I listened to more Christmas music than normal and appreciated all the lights I saw around businesses in Busan. I thought about the holiday more than I have in years past and had to shop early for a change. My family was great and sent me wrapped presents to put under the tree and sent out my address to family and close friends so I've been receiving cards in the mail too.
This year Christmas for me last for about 36 hours or maybe even more. I had to work on Christmas Eve but I was blessed with a half day and an excellent lunch with my English teacher colleagues. I had no clue I was going to have a half day until I had already been at work for an hour that day. It was a huge blessing and I came home and took a nap before going to church for the Candlelit Christmas Eve service. The Christmas Eve service was great. I got to spend time talking with a new friend before the service and then be enveloped by the family of God as we sang out blessings to our King as we celebrated the birth of our Savior. It was a powerful service and a wonderful reminder of the reason for the season. Dan spoke clearly of who Jesus is and our need for Him.
After the Christmas Eve service, some of my friends and I went to get some coffee (or tea as is the case for me) before we all headed home so we wouldn't miss the last buses to our area. I Skyped for a few minutes with my family before trying to go to sleep.
As is typical for me on Christmas I didn't sleep much and woke early than anticipated which ruined some of Patrick's plans. He thought he would wake me up early on Christmas just to be funny but I in fact was already awake. So I talked with my family while I made pancakes and bacon. Bacon is not cheap here and I haven't bought it before but I bought it for Christmas to have something nice. I then started to get ready to go out with some friends but honestly I just wanted time at home. Typically Christmas for me is a time of rest and a time with family. I just wanted to rest. I just wanted to stay home and not have to be busy for the day. After talking with my friends and apologizing for skipping out, I stayed home. It was the best decision for me. I was able to relax and spend time at home. I was able to just be me. I took a nap, watched Christmas movies, and Skyped with my dad while he was at work. I cooked a great dinner (french dip sandwiches, salad, and sautéed green squash). Finally, it was Christmas morning for my family and I was able to open presents with family just like always. The hardest part was not being able to see everything that was happening but I was there and present as much as is possible when you live on the other side of the world. It was great! I'm so thankful for Skype! It would have been a very different Christmas without Skype!
Then I went to bed. But Christmas wasn't quite over yet. I woke up early and Skyped with my extended family and opened presents with them as well. I had requested the day off so I was able to Skype with them for a long time. It was great! I was able to see so many family members and enjoy the day with them. It really was a great day! God was definitely gracious to me this Christmas!



No comments:
Post a Comment