Payday is always a good day. Nothing changes in Korea. I was paid this past week and it was a comfort to know that I had successfully made it through almost 5 weeks with just the money I brought with me from home. I could breathe a little bit.
Then I looked at my payslip. I was overwhelmed! First I haven't been employed full time (officially) in three years. So my paycheck is just a lot more than I have been earning over the last three years. That in itself is shocking to me.
But then I tried to figure out about how much money I would need for my bills and living expenses here so I could calculate how much I would transfer home. My mind started to fry. First of all I don't know what all bills I'm going to get and my first calculations were less than 40% of my salary and I know things are cheap here but I don't think they are that cheap. Then I found out that the 1 bill I had received and thought was for the first 2 weeks I was here (half of Aug. and half of Sept.) I found out was simply for August. The previous residents lived in this apartment for 4 days in August and I lived here 5. So basically I had a third of a month's maintenance bill (still not sure what all is included in that besides TV and I think electricity). So basically I did a lot of estimating and came to a number and then tried to convert it to US dollars. I think my estimates are still way off.
My mind just simply cannot figure all of this out yet. I'm hoping by the end of Nov. I will have a better grasp on my budget here. Until then, the goal is to not spend tons of money. But I haven't been doing a good job of that the last few weeks with some trips to Costco. I went again and this time I found bedding! I was hoping for a real set of Western sheets (top sheet and fitted sheet). I found that but they were fleece. I bought them because they were a good price and will be great for the winter but still not fitting what I want for now. But I did find a comforter. It's not very heavy and not as soft as I would hope for but I love it! It's a blue comforter with flowers that might be cheery blossoms. I don't. I jsut know that I like it. When you add it to the amazingly soft rich chocolate brown blanket I bought at E-traders this week, it will be fantastic! Then I will have mom send me my brown sheet set from home and I will be set! Budgeting...it will happen but it will definitely take some time to adjust to what I spend and how much is needed for expenses over here. It's all part of learning to live in another country.
And closely related to this, is paying bills. I know I can my bills through the ATM. I tried. I was not successful. Monday, I will get more instructions from my co-teachers and hopefully I will be successful the second time around!
No comments:
Post a Comment