Aw...a 5-day weekend! What a glorious feeling to not have to work for the next 5 days. I won't to soak it up though because between now and my 10 day vacation sometime in January/February I think I will have a total of 3 days off and 2 of them are in October! Why a 5-day weekend? Because its Korea's Thanksgiving holiday - Chuseok.
From what I have gathered Chuseok is a time with Korean return to their hometowns, clean the graves of their ancestors, have some sort of ceremony, spend time with their family and eat a lot. They spend time with their family and eat a lot which sounds very much like American Thanksgiving. It is why this is often referred to as Korea's Thanksgiving.
Here is a news article about people headed out of the holiday that I found. It sounds a lot like news reports of traveling during Thanksgiving and Christmas at home.
There is also a traditional food that is served - songpyeon. I had some at school on Monday. I thought they were really good but I haven't found any to buy. But I did find this recipe that doesn't sound too hard if you can find all the ingredients :)
This website also has a lot of great information about the holiday.
For me, the next 5 days are filled with a church retreat about Lordship, spending time with friends, and catching up with friends and family back in the States :) It is going to be a great 5 days!
No comments:
Post a Comment