Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

Already November??? Where did October go?

Seriously, where did October go? This month flew by for which I am grateful. Since I haven't posted in over a month I'm doing my best to play catch up tonight. So scroll down to find the post about school. The posts are by topic and in some sort of chronological order. This is actually the last post and will mostly about this past week and today, Halloween.

This past week was a blur to me. We had the GAPSS review on Monday and then I started to get sick with a bad cold. Tuesday I was just going through motions because I felt so bad I could hard think about anything else. Wednesday I took a sick day. I stayed in bed, got plenty of fluids and took lots of medicine. It worked. I felt better by Thursday but was in an ill mood. I think it was hard to come back and have such a negative note from the substitute. It was also frustrating because the substitute rearranged seats in my classroom. If anyone reading this is a substitute, please do not rearrange the desks or if you do put them back at the end of the day. It takes a while for me to decide on where to move desks once I get them moved because so many students have issues with so many students in my room. I currently have a layout that is working out the best for the school year. Students are not moving for a while. Although, I have two that I might move. When I came in and I had several desks moved I was not happy. I had to spend time rearranging the room instead of preparing for the day. I also had so many other things to deal with that day.

At least it was Thursday and for this week that was the last day. I was very happy to be walking down the bus line with the students. I then went to talk to Denise briefly which I do daily and the fire alarm went off. We have to have a fire alarm drill every month and since that was the last day of the month we would be there they did it but I think they forgot during the day so as all good teachers we walked to the playground with the after school kids for about 10 minutes. We then decided they chose not to tell it was clear and went back in. I did very little in my room since Tuesday is a work day. I grabbed my computer and walked out at three.

When I got home, I rested for a while and then I went to plant 20 hyacinths by my front door. I bought them in Sept. with some tulips. I had already planted to the tulips but hadn't finished the hyacinths. They were planted by my front door. I got that done and watered the grass before crashing in front of the TV for the night. I watch a lot of TV but Thursday nights are my TV night. I watch Survivor, Grey's, and ER. Thankfully they come on at 8, 9, 10 and don't overlap. They are also all on different networks. It was a good night of TV and I was thankful that my alarm wasn't set before 7 the next day.

Today is Halloween. I'm very glad I don't have students today because I know they would be crazy. Instead I slept in for a while and then I had the insurance company send a copy of my homeowners insurance to Farmer's Home Furniture so I don't have to pay for their insurance since I'm already insured. I also took my car back to Pep Boys because it started to make the same noise again. Of course on the ride across town it stopped making the noise. I then went to Target and Michael's. I love Michael's. Right now I'm trying to get mom's sewing machine to Athens so that I can learn to quilt. I've wanted to learn to quilt for about two years now.

After Michael's, I stopped at Farmer's Home Furniture to make a payment on my furniture and then stopped at Grandma's since I was about two blocks away. Her dog, Mr. J was very hyperactive as usual.

After making my way home, I rested for a little over an hour and watched some TV. I then went outside to work at the front of my house. Where I planted the hyacinths and tulips, I had taken up about five inches of small rock. It was on the front walkway and I wanted to move it in case I had some trick-or-treaters tonight (I didn't). I moved most of the rock to under my window. There was plastic already there but it had been blown up or water had moved it up. I put it back down and rock on top of it. I need to get some more eventually because it was just a layer on it and it didn't make it all the way around. It looks much better. I just need to finish a small section and put down a second layer so it will stay down better. It should be a better water barrier than was has been there which will be helpful. I also thought about moving the monkey grass from my back yard to line my walkway. It should help some with the water too.

After moving tons of rocks, I cleaned up and went to Radio Shack. I finally wanted to use the DVD player that I bought last Christmas in Hong Kong. It is set up in the living room so that I can watch all of my movies there: Region 1, Region 3 and VCDs. The mad at Radio Shack was very helpful and told me I might not need a reverse voltage converter after all. I stopped quickly in Walmart to get some orange juice since I finished all that I had on Wednesday. I went back home and realized I didn't need a reverse voltage converter but the adapter I had I didn't think fit. Another trip to Radio Shack showed that it actually did but didn't go on all the way. It doesn't matter. It works!!! I'm so happy to have it set up finally. Now I can watch movies in my living room when I want. I also have my fire place working and it is wonderful to sit in the living room with the fire place on and watch a movie. I'm going to love winter nights here!!

Well I hope that is an excellent update. I have enjoyed writing it. I have some pictures to upload later this weekend. My camera is broken so this might be the last pictures for a while. Tomorrow I am going to Gainesville to see Vincent run in the cross country region meet. Should be fun. I also get to see my dad again.

Then I'll head home to work inside some or just enjoy the time off. I love Fall Break!! I hope each of you had a great October!

No comments: