Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

A busy weekend

Well last weekend (Oct. 24-26) was quite a busy one for me as previously mentioned. Friday night I spent three hours cleaning because my mom was coming to visit. Most of it was cleaning that I just needed to get done and it was helpful to have the motivation to do it. Then mom arrived around 9. We made a quick trip to Walmart for some cookies and varies other things before visiting until 12:30 am. It as great to have her come and see all that I had done at my house. My grass was looking great by then and I had decorated most of the house. The only real disaster is the laundry/storage room. She also got to see my new furniture which I love.

Saturday morning mom got up and started preparing some food for a family reunion we were going to in Statham, GA (not too far from Athens). I finally rolled out of bed but on time. For some reason it took me longer to get ready so we were slightly late leaving. I headed to Pep Boys and mom headed to Grandma's to pick her up. I needed to get my car looked at because it has been make a really high pitched squealing sound.

We arrived in time for the reunion. This was the Jones Family Reunion. It was my grandma's dad's family. While there, mom had me learning all of the family history so that I could work on a genealogy (we have one for my grandma's mom's side of the family because the government did one for us because of a resevoir and family cementary). Thankfully, one of the ladies there had already done tons of work. My great-grandfather's dad had around 20 kids by two wives. We are uncertain as so the exact number because of differing reports but he had about 14 by his first wife and six surviving my his second wife. My great-grandfather is from the second set.

It was all quite confusing especially when you find out that my great-grandfather Laurens Gordon Jones had a brother named Allen but also two nephews named Allen and Alan. Things are complicated. I best know the second set as well as the kids from three of the second set. I obviously know Laurens Gordon Jones daughter (my grandmother). She had a brother that died in infancy. His brother Allen had three kids. Both of his sons have died but his daughter Allison was there as well as his wife Sue. (Oh yeah, all of the six kids have died). Then Laurens Gordon's sister Bethel had five kids. Four are still living and I met each of them that day. I don't remember the name of the fifth person but the other four are Charlie, Alan, Carmen, and John R. Confused yet? I left confused but with lots of notes.

This remarkably is not unlike my dad's side of the family. Who also has a grandfather that had 20+ kids by two wives. My parents families are unusually similiar. Both of their father's middle names were Howard. Both went by the name Howard. My dad's dad did have his name legally changed, however, so that Howard was his first name before he went into the army because he didn't want to be called Oliver. Both of their paternal grandfather's names were Gordon. They are both from a family of three. They are both middle children. There is 10 years between the first and last child in both families. One family has six years different and then four years different. The other family is just the reverse with four years differnt first and then six years different. That is just a small list. There are others. Like I said they are unusually similar but I love that fact. I love seeing the similarities. To me it shows how God knew they would be together and it's like their lives and their families lives are two puzzle pieces that fit perfectly.

Anyway, back to the weekend. It was a nice reunion. We even walked through a very old graveyard and heard hilarious story of when my great-grandfather shot a piece of dynamite. He didn't know it was dynamite and was scared silly. He threw his gun down and ran. Alan and John R. related the story. They were there. One of them(well at least one of Bethel' kids) planted the dynamite but they never said who did.

Afterwards, we picked up my car and then I crashed at Grandma's for a little bit. Then mom and I drove home. I drive slowly (always have) and it was driving mom batty. She did well and didn't pass me this time. We made it home and relaxed for a while. They have new living room furniture that they got from my Aunt Shelia. It looks really good. They also rearranged so the living room looks a lot more open. It is weird to go home because I know longer have a room or a bed there. I even took the love seat that has a twin bed in it. I sleep on the couch now. Christmas this year should be interesting as to where we will all sleep.

The church was hosting Judgment House. Judgment House is like a play where you travel from room to room seeing scenes from people's last day alive. They do not know they are going to die. Then you go to judgment with them. After you learn their fates, you are called by name to step forward to consider where you would go if you found yourself in judgment that day. Then you go through hell and heaven to understand more fully the options. It is in many ways a reality check or a wake up call. For many, it is such a dramatic and home-hitting portrayal of the gospel. You are reminded that we are not promised a tomorrow. That God's plans are not necessarily our plans.

Judgement House was the reason I went home on Saturday night. Vincent was in the judgment scene and I told him I would come home for it. It was great. I'm glad that I did. The church did a fantastic job putting it together and although I was up until almost 2 it was worth it. It was great to visit with my family.

Before, mom and I went to the church we also stopped at Grandma Thomas' house to see her. I hadn't been by since the summer so I was long past due to visit. Her sister Janie was also visiting. It was really great to see them both.

On Sunday, I was able to go to church and see many people that have prayed for me for years as well as great friends. My former pastor was also there. I haven't seen him or his wife in about a year or so. It was really great to see them both. I love going home to church and seeing my church family. I still haven't found a church in Athens but it will take time for it to reach the family feeling that I have in Blairsville. I grew up there and it was small when I was small. I grew with it and know a lot of people there.

Kim also came to church with us and then joined us for lunch. It was wonderful to spend time with her. She is also planning a trip to Athens week after next. I look forward to having a guest that is not my family.

I then had to get home to get my lessons plans done. We were having our GAPSS review on Monday. I forgot to mention that on the school blog. We were being assessed to see how well we were meeting the school standards. I had three different observations as did everyone. It was somewhat stessful but I don't get quite as stressed about that as I do the day to day work. I guess I got used to observations and at that point I guess I'm doing the best I can and if not I'll find out.

I'm not sure if that is a good attitude to have or not but for now I'm just glad its done. I know that the principal will be in any day now to do my observations so I'm trying to make sure that I am on top of my work and doing my best for when she does come in.

No comments: