Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Korean Surprise 2.0

I told you I would post again about my Korean surprises!  However, I am surprised at how quickly they came up.

The first one isn't so much a Korean Surprise because of lack of knowledge about what is happening but more of an actual surprise.  Last night, I was in my apartment watching a movie and getting ready for bed when the sound like the door video system sounded (here my door bell is attached to a video phone that I can see who is at the door and can talk with them without physically answering my door).  I was surprised that someone would be coming to my door so late at night and then there was a lot of talking.  I went to look to see who was there and realized that it wasn't the door system.  Above that is a speaker in my wall that I had been oblivious too prior to this event.  Yep, there was an intercom system announcement to the entire building.  The video below is the last little bit of it.  Of course its all in Korean so the only thing I understand is the last word which is Kamsahamnida = Thank you.  I was pretty shocked and surprised in general and then it happened again tonight!!  Round 2, I used Google translate to see what I could figure out of the message.  All I got was Hi, October 11, and a bunch of nonsense.  So yeah, I still have no clue what it was about.  Maybe it's about the Typhoon that is supposed to affect us tomorrow.  Nothing major, just some wind and lots of rain.  No idea!


Now onto a real Korean Surprise!  After I finished with my afterschool class today, I went back to the English office and was given several papers of students drafts for the speaking competition that is next week.  I have been asked to correct the English grammar and sentence structure of these.  I was working on them when my head teacher came in saying "Caroline, I forgot!  I totally forgot.  You are supposed to lead a teacher's training meeting today!"  To which I respond, "um...okay.  About what?"  Then I am told that it starts in less than 10 minutes and its about using picture books to teach English.  I start to quickly gather some thoughts and ask a few questions.  I surprised my teacher by being willing to go ahead and do it even though I was told very last minute.  She gave me some suggestions of what to use from the Saturday classes that I teach.  Then I gathered student work from my afterschool classes and my Saturday classes as well as picture books that I have used with these classes.  I quickly made sure I had 2 of the books on my USB drive and went to teach some teachers.  Now, I can guarantee you that it was not a very well done teachers training.  I am also not sure how much they understood because they did not ask questions and nothing was translated!   But they saw some student work and maybe it generated a few ideas for them!  Oh what an afternoon!  It was supposed to be a 50 minute training session.  I think I taught for 25!  I did the best I could with the 3 minutes of prep time I had!!!  Surprise indeed!!

No comments: