I had 2 favorite scenes from role-playing trick-or-treating with my class.
First, the kids were running from "house" to house with their partners to go trick-or-treating. It was fun to watch them go around the room while holding their pictures of them in a costume :)
Second, after the first group of kids went trick-or-treating we were switching. The kids that were the adults at a house giving out compliments about costumes (we were practicing using adjectives) and candy were going to be the kids trick-or-treating. As we were switching, Andy came to me and was giving me his candy. He thought it was just to learn and they didn't get to keep the candy! I laughed a little and assured him it was his to keep. He got the biggest smile on his face and ran off to his partner and started excitedly talking in Korean.
Also, during the break many kids asked if they could eat the candy. Many were surprised to get the candy. I haven't given candy in any of my classes but they all seemed to think it was a precious gift. I also had a student come and ask me about how much candy I would get at Halloween as a kid. She was surprised to hear how much candy you can get. To her 5 pieces of candy was a big deal. To think of a bucket of candy was pretty hard to comprehend :)
The rest of Saturday was also great as we had a Halloween party :) We played games and got stickers (for their sticker tree) and more candy for. They did a great job and definitely knew the Halloween vocabulary words :)
Anyway, here's just a few examples of why I enjoy my Saturday classes.
Making costumes. We drew them because the students wouldn't have things at home for costumes and I didn't want them to go and buy stuff for the activities. They work so hard any time I give an assignment but particularly for anything creative. They are very meticulous. I have to give time limits because otherwise it takes them forever!!!
Trick-or-treating!
![]() |
| Pumpkin bowling. You have to identify a vocabulary word for every pin knocked over. |
![]() |
| Creative 5th graders decorated the faces. |
I have extremely creative students. We used that jack-o-lantern pals and bats from previous classes to decorate with.
![]() |
| I LOVE the silly pumpkin face on the left. |

These videos are of my students retelling the story It's Halloween Night! They did an awesome job with this assignment. Sorry for the background noise. It was break time.






















No comments:
Post a Comment