Pages

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

After School Class

I can't believe that I have been in Busan long enough to have taught a full cycle of an after school class.  My after school class met every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 2:00-2:40.  I had 20 third and fourth grade students.  I enjoyed the class a lot.  They were very quiet and very well behaved.  My English co-teachers constantly commented on how well-behaved and quiet they were.  My hope is that they actually learned more English throughout the class but I know for certain they built some confidence.

I loved getting to know them and so far, they are the only group of students that I teach that I know all of their names.  I might not always pronounce them correctly but I do know the English spelling of all of their names :)  It was a fantastic group of students that over the 14 classes (1 class was canceled) that we had together began to open up, talk with me more, and allow me to see more and more of their personality.

Ji Won, Su Hong, Young Min, So Yoon, Subin, Song Jun, Seong Hyun, Eunhee, Hey Won, Min Hyok, Soo Young, Hanna, Dohan, Su Hyuen, Yujin, Dong Sun, Kang Hyun, Min Joon.  These were my students.  I don't have pictures because I was busy teaching and didn't think about it.  But my co-teachers took some pictures so hopefully I can get some.

Anyway, today was my last day with them and I planned a review game.  Our class was only 30 minutes long because we had a speech contest today too.  At the beginning of my class another group was meeting in the back of the English library so I tried to keep them quiet.  They were not super focused to begin with.  We changed the time as well and I think the lack of outside play time before my class made a big difference in their ability to focus!  But they got into the game and were quite loud!  But they also, answered the questions correctly, even the ones from several weeks ago!  I was super proud.

The way it worked out the teams were tied when we finished the last question.  Which worked for the best.  I had played a Hip Hop clock song for them with the first book.  It was far and away their favorite thing.  Each class they asked for the Hip Hop song.  I told them that I would only give points to the team that had everyone singing.  They really wanted to win.  I wish for all the world that I had my phone with me and could have videoed them singing the Hip Hop song.  First, they were all singing.  Second, they were singing loudly.  Third, Su Hong and Soo Young were screaming/singing the song!  I laughed a lot and had fun with them as we finished our last class together.  It was definitely the best way to end our time together.  I will miss seeing them though.  I start a new after school class on Oct. 28th but I have no clue if any of them will be in my class again or not.  Either way, I'm thankful for the time I had with them and how I learned how to teach English as a foreign language without a co-teacher to translate during this time.  They were patient, understanding, and overall great students!

1 comment:

Joy said...

Too bad you didn't get a video, I'd have loved to see your students singing. It sounds like great fun!