Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

I've made it to Busan! Success!

Tuesday was the big day!  Monday afternoon I found out I was teaching at Yangjeong Elementary School near the city center in Busan but still had no idea where I was living.  That was Tuesday.  We had about a 5 hours bus ride to Busan that included 2 stops.  I met my co-teacher and had quite the time getting all of my luggage into her car.  Then I went to the elementary school and met the other co-teachers (I have 4) as well the principal and vice-principal.  Then I was taken to my apartment and shown how to use the stove, hot water, air conditioner, and washing machine.  We went to the store to find the correct garbage bags to use, to a convenient store to buy a bus card, and to a coffee shop to set up wifi on my touch for when I wanted to come and use it.  Busy, busy day.

After my co-teacher left me I bought a few groceries and then set off to figure out how exactly to get to school.  I found it by 1 bus and subway but that took like an hour.  The other bus I was told was much faster!  I got on it going the wrong way at first but I've made it.  I knew what I was doing the next day.

Day 1 in Busan was all about small successes.


            Success to get luggage in my co teachers car.
            Success that I don’t have to teach for the next 3 days, just planning.
            Success that I adequately met the principal and vice principal
            Success that I knew how to work everything in the apartment before the coteacher left.
            Success that the coteacher drove around the area a lot because I became more familiar with the area.
            Successful grocery shopping trip
            Successful but very long trip to school and back (2 buses and 2 subway trains and 2.5 hours of time).
            Success in finding and buying a hair dryer that it was much to hot to use on night one.
            Successful dinner and desert in my apartment night one.
            Successful first load of laundry.
            Successful cloroxing of the entire bathroom and then shower.


My first day was all about seeing the small successes.  As I started to get settled for the night some homesickness started to settle in.  Not having internet was really hard.  The TV was also down in a closet so it was quiet and different.  I decided then that each night needed a small reward for making it through the day.  It ends my day of a higher note and helps me see that there is a lot of good in my life here too.  My reward for this night was some cookies and a long hot shower.  Definitely good rewards. Here are a few pictures.  ** more will be added when I get them off my ipod touch.

My keys for my apartment as well as my honey bee bus card :)

Sorry I don't have it turned the right way but a picture of my new hair dryer.

My first meal in Busan.  Yep cup noodle because I hadn't washed the dishes or cleaned the kitchen.  Boiling water was all that was needed for this meal :)

My reward!  

They are small and don't taste quite the same but they are still good.  And the good news is that it can be reward for days to come!

          

No comments: