I am in Korea through a program called EPIK (English Program in Korea). I found it through some Google searches back in October. I also found some recruiters that you could go through that could also get you a job with EPIK. However, its a first-come, first-served basis and if you apply directly you can turn in your application BEFORE all who go through recruiters. It seemed like a good plan and that if I really struggled then I could go through a recruiter for the next intake. But there really wasn't a need. I didn't hear a lot of information from EPIK in between stages of the applications but I was given adequate information and since I applied directly I have an EPIK coordinator that I can contact with any questions. I thought it was a great program before arriving but now, I'm just overwhelmed.
I cannot describe the awe and respect I have for Korea and their government for their value for education, English education in particular. First of all, all EPIK teachers are an additional English teacher for their students (they already have Koreans teaching the English education classes). The EPIK teacher is brought in to specifically help with pronunication, speaking, and writing. We are an additional salary that they pay to have native speakers helping their children learn English. They pay us a very adequate salary. They reimburse us for our flights to and from the country. They pay for our housing the entire time we are here and for half of our medical insurance. We also pay into a pension plan that they match our part of. Then there is also the orientation that they provide. I am blown away by the money they spend to educate and prepare the EPIK teachers so that we will have successful year or more in Korea teaching English.
Just what they pay from above is amazing and I do not see any state in the US paying money like that to have an additional Spanish or French teacher in the classroom that is a native speaker. But they also paid for several buses to orientation, our housing and all of our food for a 10 day orientation. We each received towels, bags, T-shirts, and an orientation manual with articles for all of our lectures. They paid for 2 class leaders for all classes at orientation (we had 7 classes) as well as paying all of the lecturers that they brought in for each of our sections. They also set up our medical exam so it could be done quickly and efficiently (we paid about $50 for that). They also took us all on a field trip to the Hanak village to learn about the traditional houses as well as other parts of Korean culture. We each made a Korean paper craft pencil case and either learned the traditional mask dance or Korean drums. They paid for us each to have those classes. We also went to a some Shrine that had an entrance fee that I'm assuming they paid for ahead of time as we all just walked in but were easily identified with our EPIK shirts. We went to several other places that day. So all of that was covered too. The opening ceremonies included bringing in several important people in Education in Korea as well as an amazing taekwondo demonstration. Our closing celebration had SO much food and included a bottle of wine for each table.
All of that was paid for for 10 days while they educated us about teaching, English education, EPIK life, Korean life and survival Korean. All for the 383 people at my orientation BUT there was another orientation going on just 1 day ahead of me further north in Korea! There were well over 500 new teachers brought in that they have paid all of that for. They do this TWICE every every year and then have 2 other smaller orientations in October and May each year for teachers coming in on late intakes. Incredible. The government pays for all of this so that they can bring in native speakers to give their children the best education possible. Not to mention they have increased their standards and higher more and more at the higher levels of they pay scale to have more qualified instructors that staying with the cheaper option of teachers lower on the pay scale with little to no experience. I am just amazed.
Then on top of all of that I sat through all the lectures and found almost all of them very engaging, insightful, and very practical. They were so helpful. Not to mention that I was shocked when at orientation that we had sat through 45 hours of lecture in less than 8 days!!!! I had no clue and it definitely did not feel that way!
So if anyone wants to live in Korea, I HIGHLY recommend EPIK. They have been extremely helpful in my transition and very well organized. Even when changes came up they made them quickly and efficiently. It's been incredible. I'm so thankful for the orientation and the opportunity I have to be here in Korea with EPIK!
No comments:
Post a Comment