Well if day 1 was all about success. Today, day 2, is all about adventure. I have to be at school at 8:40. Yesterday when I took the bus to the subway
station and then the subway to my school it took me just about an hour. I took the bus home and it was about 30
minutes. But I wanted to make sure I was
not late on my first day and I had no idea how long the bus would take in the
morning to get to school. So I woke up
really early to get ready for school. (on a side note my sleep schedule since I
have arrived has been to go to bed between 9-10 and wake up between 6:45 and
7:15. So not me, but its working for
now). I thought school was starting at
8:40 so I did not want to be coming right as they started so I hoped to arrive
by 8:30. I left at 7:30 and was so
excited to find not just 1 bus at the stop but 2! It’s the beginning of the route so I
definitely had a bus and a seat. The bus
took about 20 minutes to arrive. Thankfully
before my stop, the announcement is “Yangjeong subway station” in English so I
know where to get off. I was really
early so I tried to figure out the free wifi at the subway stations. What I found out was that its not really free
but connected to the different cell phone companies. So I didn’t get to talk to my mom or send
messages to my dad but I was definitely not late! Adventure 1 of the day = success.
I was very early but just went to my desk and began to look
at the textbooks that I will use. They
also left me a schedule for the rest of the semester (well school day
schedule). I knew that I would be beginning
with fifth grade so I looked at that. My
co-teacher Shin (???maybe that’s her name) arrived right at 8:40 and gave me
some instructions about what to plan.
Then it was time to plan. During
the first period, another co-teacher, Ja Yeon, came in to visit. It was tough to carry on conversations but we
are getting there. We talked some about
what we will teach together which is 4th grade storybooks. It actually sounds like a lot of fun. I really struggled with figuring out
powerpoint in particular with everything in Korean. However, by lunch time I had figured out how
to google what I was trying to do and look at images of screen shots that
people had posted. It worked! I figured out how to do animations of objects
and triggers for animations on powerpoint and how to take a screen shot of
specific items that are on the computer.
So Adventure 2 of the day was learning to plan lessons and use the
computer when most if not all of the writing is in Korean = mostly successful
with a lot still to learn.
Lunch = Adventure 3.
Shin Teacher came back to get me for lunch. I followed her and just went with it. I was so incredibly excited and blessed that
today’s lunch was bimimbap. I don’t
know if I’ve posted this story before, but the first time I had bimimbap was on
my Maymester trip to Seoul when I was in Berry college. We went to a monastery that served us
bimimbap for lunch. Doc Wakefield told
us how to eat it. I did not like it at
all!!! So much so that I took the entire
hour to use my chopsticks and pull out every piece of rice form among the
vegetables and little bit of red sauce that was in it. Doc and his wife Carolyn laughed at me a lot
that day at lunch. But I didn’t go
hungry and I was sure I would never eat bimimbap again. However, while living in Hong Kong I flew
Korean Air several times and was served bimimbap because it was the best option
being served. I learned that I indeed do like bimimbap. Kimchi on the other hand I do not like. I tried it at Jeonju University 3 times and
the third time I almost got sick because I just could not take the taste. So back to Day 2 in Busan, lunch was bimimbap
and I was very pleased. Kimchi was also
served but I didn’t eat it. There was
some kind of egg soup served that I tried and it was okay. They also served watermelon. I actually enjoyed the lunch today. Adventure 3 = Success!!
After lunch, I had tea with Ja Yeon and Shin Teacher. They are both wonderful and I am enjoying
getting to know them. Tomorrow the Head
English teacher Kim Young (who picked me up yesterday) will be back. I am looking forward to getting to know her
as well. Her daughter left for a year in
Canada today which is why she was not at school.
After tea, we went back to the English office to work on
preparing documents to go to the immigration office to apply for my Alien
Registration Card (ARC). When I receive
this document I can finally apply for internet, cell phone, and a bank
account. We met with the principal and
vice-principal to go over my contract and my duties and as a Guest English
Teacher (GET). We also asked permission
to leave school early to go and apply for my ARC. This time away from school is unpaid leave
but it was granted. In Korea, I only
have 18 days off for paid leave and the 15 national holidays. There are not sick days. If I am sick, I am to still report to school,
but they might send me home. If I leave
early for sickness, personal business, or anything else I must ask permission
and keep up with it on an attendance record.
Every 8 hours equals one of my 18 days of vacation. I sincerely hope that I don’t even miss 8
hours because I don’t want to lose those days!
But if I do I will survive.
Sitting with the principal and vice-principal and not knowing anything
that was said really made me want to learn Korean. Hopefully I will have some time for Korean
classes.
After that meeting we finished preparing the documents and
left school just before 3:00. We took
the subway to Busan Station and walked to the immigration office. When we arrived there were 49 people in line
in front of us! We had a long wait. But there were other teachers there too. So I was able to see some familiar faces and
had some time to get to know Shin Teacher some more as well. She is expecting her second child in
October. I am excited for her! We also applied for delivery service to the
school. I was so thankful when the
accepted the only passport photo that I could find because it was about 5 years
old and I had really short hair in the photo.
I had it taken in Hong Kong just before I left. Thankfully, they didn’t say anything since I
could not find my other photos. My card
should arrive in 2 weeks. Adventure 4 =
definitely a success.
After immigration, we walked back to the subway
station. Shin Teacher had to go further
than I did. Since I knew where the bus
was from Seomyeon station I got out there.
It is a 15 bus ride from the station home and it is 20 minutes and 2
subway stops after Seomyeon to go back to the school home. However, when I got to the subway, I decided
to try and find a place in Seomyeon that I had listed on a map that was given
me. It also had written directions. It
said it was a good, cheap place for home goods.
My feet were killing me because my shoes don’t fit right but I put
bandaids over the blisters and went for it.
I successfully found the store and was excited to find an air freshener
since my apartment does not smell good.
I also got a container to put the sugar in that I bought yesterday. I also got a air freshener for the
refrigerator. I found a lock for my
cabinet at school and I think that is all.
From there, on the map was an E-trader store. They said it was similar to Costco (which
there is one in Busan) but with less Western items and no need for a membership. I have been craving peanut butter for days so
I decided I was already out I might as well go for it. The map it all written in Korean but it is
close enough to show how many streets. I
just guessed some and started walking.
Thankfully about 4-5 blocks away I saw a huge green sign that said
E-Trade Market. I just kept it in view
and kept walking. I made it there and
searched for ever through all 3 levels for the peanut butter. I almost gave up
until I saw it in someone’s cart! I knew
it was in the store and that I just had to find it! I did!
I paid about $4.50 for a jar of peanut butter but I couldn’t have been
more excited! I also bought a few other
items. I probably should have waited to
buy the Kleenexes especially since I found some at the grocery store near me
since I went there. But the sign seemed
to indicate they were on sale and its one of those items that you don’t really
need most of the time but when you do need them you don’t want to have to
search for them. But thankfully, I
didn’t go to crazy buying stuff in this store.
After E-traders I had to find the bus stop. The map has had writing from previous
teachers of all of these places and it didn’t seem to be that far way from the
store and they indicated it was about a block.
Either I missed the first station or their definition of a block is
quite different from mine. I just kept
walking towards the direction of the stop and began to worry that I was going
the wrong way. I came to Lotte World,
which is good to know, and beside it is a HUGE intersection of highways and
then subway rails above it. I honestly
thought I was going to be practically stranded in the middle of nowhere. But I recognized the buildings and knew that
I was at least heading in the right direction.
I finally found a bus stop. I
knew that bus 17 and 23 are supposed to go to my neighborhood but I only knew
where the stop for 17 is. I just missed
bus 17 and almost let bus 23 leave because I was uncertain. But on the front of the bus I read the
English that said Jujong and I knew that was my area so I got on and hoped for
the best. I knew I was getting close but
wasn’t really sure where to get off.
When I saw the first building for my complex I got off and walked about
10 minutes back to my building. But the
exciting part was when another person who got off at the same stop walked to my
building too! I guessed absolutely
right! So thanks to the Girl Scouts and
my parents for teaching me how to read a map so well, Adventure 4 into Seomyeon
was a huge success including taking an unknown bus!
I honesty did not think I was this adventurous of a
person. But honestly, I just really
wanted peanut butter. When I got back, I
went to the grocery store in my neighborhood to buy bread and coke to complete
the meal (and a few other things).
![]() |
| What I bought at the home store. My first purchases of the day. |
![]() |
| What I bought at E-Traders mart. The most important was the Peanut Butter :) |
![]() |
| What's needed to make the meal complete! Bread and coke as some chips and the milk for the morning. |
![]() |
| Reward 1 - My favorite ice cream from my first time in Korea |
![]() |
| My reward and what I've been craving for days! A peanut butter sandwich and coke! |





No comments:
Post a Comment