I will be in Korea in 1 month. August 19th will be my day of arrival but the time is still to be determined. I sent in my Visa application yesterday and hopefully will have it back by next Friday. Then I can book my flight. I have a few that I am watching and hope to book one of them once my visa arrives.
But there is a lot to do in a month besides just book my flight. The most important is probably packing. I have so much to pack, sort, get rid of, and store. I probably need at least 2 more solid weeks of doing that and I don't have that kind of time. Got to work quickly I guess.
I also need to finish my pre-orientation work for EPIK, see friends, buy supplies, and organize what is staying here. All really important and all have to be done but what I really want to do is relax and rest and spend time with family and friends. I just wish it would all magically finish :)
My hope though is that I finish things quickly enough that I know what is being shipped later and have things packed before my last night here. I don't want to put things off to last minute. I want to finish things early. I need some motivation though for that. I get motivated by deadlines and fake deadlines don't usually work for me. We will see what happens over the next month :)
Many people ask me if I'm nervous when they find out that I'm going. The answer is yes. I'm nervous about building community again. I'm nervous because I really don't know exactly what I will be doing once there. I know I'm teaching English as a foreign language but don't know what grade level or what school. I hear a lot about "deskwarming" in which I have to be at school even when students are not there and the half a day that I don't teach students when they are there. I'm worried about not filling that time and being bored. My contracts states that I will teach for 22 hours each week out of the 40 that I am required to be at school. If I teach over 22 hours a week, they have to pay me for more instructional hours. Not that I would mind extra pay but I'm not used to that much time for planning. It's just a different world and I am nervous because I just don't know what to expect. Moving to Korea is going to be exciting and fun but I'm also nervous because it will be different from Hong Kong. Hong Kong is now my comfort level overseas and I have to remember not to compare the two but again, its different and that causes nerves. But if you want to know if I'm nervous about getting lost or not surviving in another country. No. I know that I will survive in Korea. I know that it will be different and will take adjustments but I know its possible.
So for the next month, I will spend time with family and friends. I will sort and pack and store and get rid of my stuff. I will pray for my visa to go through without complications and will book a flight. It's going to be a crazy busy and fast month! I will be in Korea so very soon!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment