Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

It's Official, Official, Official!!

About 12:30 today I checked to see if my Visa had been mailed yet.  The tracking post popped up and I was in shock and so excited!  Not only had it been shipped it was ready for pick-up!!  I'm not sure that I actually completed sentences with my mom while notifying her and flying out the door to go to the post office to pick up my passport.  I've been excited but my excitement hit the roof in that moment!  Finally, I was at the end of the process.  I knew that by the end of the night the only thing that would be left would be to pack and fly to South Korea.  No more steps to complete, I'm officially going to Korea!

The process has been a long one.  It started about October as I considered what I would do once I graduated in May.  During that time I started looking into teaching English as an option.  I also looked once again into teaching at an international school somewhere in Asia, maybe even back in Hong Kong.  I don't remember when I first found the EPIK website but it was somewhat early on.  I remember sitting in class and during breaks talking to friends about it and really starting to consider teaching English in Korea.

I was told during the Fall that I would have to wait until February to apply for EPIK to be considered for the an August start date.  I did learn that there were private schools and after school programs that I could apply to and possibly get an earlier start date.  However, EPIK just stuck with me.  Then I read some articles and thought that I had to wait until April 1st to apply.

Mid-February I realized that I could have applied starting at the end of January and that I was already a month behind in the process.  But between work, school, and general procrastination I didn't actually send in my application until the end of March.  However, it was before the April 1 date of when recruiters could send in their applications.  Therefore, I was in the earlier group.  I received confirmation of my application very quickly and was set up for an interview at the beginning of April.  Three days after my interview I received an email stating that I had passed the interview and could begin collecting my documents and send them in.  I had already been working on my documents.  I was waiting to receive my background check so that I could get it and my diploma apostilled.  Otherwise I had all of my documents ready to go.  I did not realize that Seoul required for all documents to be apostilled at the Department of State in Washington D.C. until after I had my apostilled in 24 hours at the Department of State for North Carolina.  Thankfully I was not trying to be placed in Seoul!!

The waiting really began shortly thereafter.  I had to wait on a few documents but I sent them in I think in May.  I did receive confirmation of receipt of my documents and that was it until the first Friday in June.  Thankfully my time was filled with finals, graduation, and my few days at the Tumble Gym that the waiting wasn't that hard.  That Friday in June though I woke up to an email with a Notice of Appointment.  I ran into the living room to tell my mom that I officially had a job in Busan, South Korea!  Then MORE waiting!  My contract arrived a month and a half later when I was working at M-Fuge at Ridgecrest.  I came home from camp and go together the documents for my Visa.  I had it mailed within a week of being home and got it back today!!!  I was so excited.

Tonight, I booked my flight.  I am officially leaving on August 18th at 12:30 AM.  I will have to be at the airport on the night of the 17th.  I will arrive in Korea on Monday August 19th at 4:20 AM local time (Sunday afternoon here).  It's almost a 15 hour flight.  Around 11 AM on the 19th I will get on a shuttle headed to Jeonju University for orientation.  It's happening!  I am moving to Korea!  I'm excited but definitely full of mixed emotions!  Leaving family is always difficult and missing Christmas is harder than I can describe.  But I do know that God is leading me here and that He has plans for me in Korea.  I am going willingly and much excitement and anticipation!  24 days until I leave!

No comments: