Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

A little soul-searching

Today was like most typical Saturdays in Athens. I slept until almost noon (well on and off after 8:30). I did very little and I felt sad/blue. I believe that I am easily depressed and most weekends I end up this way. The week's help some but because I am not fully happy with my job it is easy for me to feel depressed many evenings as well. I used to blame it on not having friends in Athens but it is really my poor choices and laziness.

So today was a rough Saturday. I wanted to do something but had no energy. Should have cleaned house but had no desire. But I did one thing different than I've done in recent weeks. I opened up the Word of God. Well kind of. I opened up the Bible Study book that I have (I started a new Bible Study this past Wednesday at church - Pursuing More of Jesus by Anne Graham Lotz - its a women's bible study). In the book, were passages that we are to read through this week. I have not touched this book since Wed. night so I needed to read 3 sections. What I love about this book, is that the first lesson was teaching HOW to read the Bible in a way for God to speak to you. I know this sounds stupid and pretty lazy on my part but I really haven't learned a good way to read the word of God since becoming a Christian when I was 8. I read sections and ponder them or I read devotionals. So if I get nothing else out of this Bible study (which is HIGHLY doubtful) I will at least have learned a good approach to reading the Bible.

So tonight, I opened this book and read through John 10:1-5. God spoke. His words piercing my heart and not really feeling me with happiness but leading me to a little soul-searching. During my devotions tonight, God spoke to me that He knows who we truly are and we cannot pretend around Him. This lead me to seriously think about who I am, how I act, what I do, what I focus on, my thoughts. This was NOT particularly uplifting. I am a broken vessel. I am so unworthy of God and his love for me. I am such a sinful person.

I wrote down what I do most days or where my focus is most days...nothing included God! How terrible of a person I am! I call myself a Christian. Try to persuade others through my lifestyle that I believe in God but when I am 100% honest I rarely include God in my thoughts on a daily basis! I pray but usually when I'm really frustrated or don't know what else to do. I talk to friends about Christ or about LEAVING my job to go to seminary and I focus on God at church on Sundays (and well I guess Wed. night now too). Horrible, terrible, hypocrite...there are more words I could use but I'll stop there.

BUT, there is one thing that I wrote down that is important. I am a child of God! So even though I know all of these things are VERY true about myself, I also know that God loves me even though I am all these things. He holds me in His hand. He will never let go. He is refining me. He is teaching me. Praise the LORD!

So tonight, I am hurting because I know that I am not the person I want to be. I am not giving God my all. I am not living a life that is sacrificed to him. The good news is that recognizing this is a good first step. Wanting to become more disciplined and focus on God so that He can refine me into a willing vessel, into a person that lives sacrificially for him is a good second step.

My desire tonight is to become more disciplined in Bible study and my prayer life. My desire is for God to use me. My desire to become a Christian that is on fire for Christ. That I live my life so that NO ONE can mistake who I live for and what I believe. I don't want to be a lukewarm Christian any more.

Blessings ~

1 comment:

Nelson T said...

It is important that we recognize out shortcomings when compared to God and what He has done for us. It is also important to remember that many of the heroes of the Bible suffered with these feelings of inadequacy and unworthiness. Don't dwell on your failures, determine to do better in the future and do something, even some very small seemingly insignificant thing each day to lead you to a more fulfilling spiritual life. Love you,
Dad