Pages

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Korean Festivals

In April, I had the opportunity to attend two festivals in Korea.  As I explored the beautiful cherry blossoms in Jinhae and walked in the parting sea in Jindo, I started to consider the many similarities in festivals in Korea and America.  Of course there are differences too.   

Festivals of course include food and mostly snack like food.  Cotton candy and ice cream are common at festivals here.  Below is a picture of the cotton candy.  It's huge!  It's bigger than your head and easily double what is usually given in America.  
In Jindo, the festival also had many music shows and other activities.  There was a dog show and traditional dancing and traditional music.  The festival even had a boat parade.  Granted the parade was different since the boats moved in different patterns instead of just driving by the coast with boats decorated.

In Jinhae, there were also lots of games that are common to fairs and festivals in America.  There were darts to through at balloons and baseballs to through at cans.  


To me what I saw as the biggest difference were the food stalls.  Most of the food stalls here served full meals and had many tables and chairs for you to sit at.  They are small, movable restaurants.


No comments: