Thursday was a 100 days since I signed my contract. Friday was 100 days in Busan. Time is flying!
A few observations over my first 100 days.
1). I don't like a lot of Korean food. There are some dishes that I like and if I actually go to restaurants instead of just eating school food there is more that I like. However, they have a lot of spicy food and a lot of foods just mixed together. I don't like either for the most part. I also don't like Kimchi or similarly prepared food such a kimchi radishes. I am surviving and not starving to death. I just don't like a lot of traditional Korean food. Maybe in my time here it will grow on me as I eat more and more at lunch each time. I have learned to like seaweed soup and dried seaweed in my rice. I'm getting there but it is definitely taking time.
2). Learning Korean is very hard. I was taught in school that new language learners are usually silent for a year or more as they observe and learn the language. I completely understand why. I know some Korean now. I mostly know how to read Korean but I usually don't say it out loud. There is so much to learn and observe and I just need to hear the language a lot more. I'm definitely not the person that will naturally pick the language is 6 months to a year just by living here but I'm working on it. Today I received my certificate for completing the Entry level Korean class at Busan Global Center. Next up Beginners I. The class will meet twice a week for two hours each time. Four hours a week is a big jump from 1.5 hours a week. I guess I better study a lot between now and February 10th when the next class starts!
3). I'm enjoying teaching English but it is difficult. I find it difficult to fully understand the English curriculum and to gage the level of the students. It is really hard to find picture books that are engaging, fun, and easy enough for my students to understand. It's also hard to find picture books to teach English language that are not simply teaching colors, numbers, or days of the week. I tried to teach the Polar Express and I think it was too hard for the students and I even summarized each page to 1-2 simple sentences. There is much to learn. However, I enjoy it and enjoy interacting with the students. I am given enough time to prepare all of my lessons at a slow and relaxed pace and rarely feel overwhelmed by school work. It's been a great job so far.
4). The Korean school schedule if very unique. Well, more accurately, it is very different from a traditional American school schedule. Each school year begins on March 1st or the Monday after March 1st if it lands on a Saturday or Sunday. Students are in school until the end of July at which time they have approximately 5 weeks off for summer break. They return around September 1st for the second semester. This continues until Christmas Eve. Students then have winter break for about 7 weeks. They start again at the beginning of February for about 2 weeks. They have about 2 weeks off for Spring vacation before they start their new school year in March. I struggle to understand the importance, significance, and use of the 2 weeks in February. By the time the students have been out of school for 7 weeks, I feel that many of them will have forgotten a lot and that it takes time to get back into the routine for school. However, they are only in school for a few short weeks before they officially end that school year and prepare for a new school year only a few weeks later. My students will go to school 11 days from Christmas Even until March 3rd this year and they are all at the beginning of February. It baffles me a lot. However, most students will be engaged in learning during this time. Most students attend hagwons (after school classes) that will continue during this time. There are also winter camps at school. I will teach 2 winter English camps from January 6-17th. There will be other options for students as well during the winter break. But even still, its all very different to me.
5). God is gracious in all things. I cannot imagine my life without knowing of God, without believing in God, and without having God by my side through all things. There has been so many ways that I have seen God's hand at work in the very small things that happen on a daily basis during my time in Korea already. God is gracious and is there for me. He is teaching me, stretching me, and comforting me. My life is richly blessed by God. My heart aches for the millions who do not know God personally as I do. I cannot imagine living life without the knowledge of the Triune God who loves and cares for each of us. I know that I have to share this love with others. I'm still learning and growing when it comes to sharing God's love with others. It is a struggle to me but I know that I am here for a reason and that I am to be sharing his love with others. Please pray with me for courage, boldness, and confidence to share God's love to the people that I interact with here in Busan.
Wow, 100 days. It's hard to believe. They have been amazing and difficult all at the same time. God has provided friends, a church family, a great job, and wonderful apartment, and finances. God has been there to comfort me in my homesickness and show me the joys of the Korean culture. I'm looking forward to many more days in Busan as I seek and grow in Christ and a learn and fall in love with the Korean culture and Korean people!
No comments:
Post a Comment