Well I'm doing it. I'm learning Korean. I am in a free Korean class every Saturday from 1:00-2:20. Thankfully, Nicole is with me! I teach on Saturday morning. Then I walk down to the City Hall area to meet Nicole for lunch, and then go to Korean class before heading out on our Saturday Adventure in Busan. We have finished 5 weeks now. Each week, I understand more and more what it's like to be a student in my class. My teacher doesn't speak a lot of English. I actually think she knows more Chinese than English. It is hard to know exactly what all is happening. Thankfully the directions to the activities are in English in our book.
I am learning the pronunciation pretty well but the distinguishing of the sounds is a lot harder. I get frustrated most days in class by just trying to learn. I don't practice every day but I do practice and work on learning each week. I know what has been taught but it takes time for me to see characters realize the sound and then pronounce it. The problem is that many in my class are so much faster than I am. I've got to get better at this. But it is at least a step in the right direction.
The hope is to stay in classes at this location for the next year at least. That will hopefully get me to the advanced level. But who knows, at this rate I almost want to repeat the class I'm in because it is taking me so long to pick it up. But it's just the alphabet and maybe by learning words and sentence structure it will come a little easier. Either way I'm working on Korean and spend time each Saturday sitting in class with just under 20 other individuals working to learn Hanguel. I have 4 classes left and lots to learn!
No comments:
Post a Comment