My grandmother passed away a week ago today. The three weeks prior to her death and then the few days after have been some of the hardest of my life. She is the closest person in my life to have passed away. It was not only hard to know of her failing health and the fact that she would no longer be with us, but it was very hard to know how difficult it was on the people I love, my dad in particular.
Since her passing, I have been thinking about the many memories I have with her. The first things that jump into my mind when I think of my grandmother are angels, orange slices, the grandfather clock, and how she loved family. It was always difficult for me to talk about moving overseas with her. She was the last phone call I made when I signed both of my contracts for Hong Kong. I knew she wanted me close to home and I didn't want to disappoint her. Yet I knew I was supposed to move to Hong Kong. It wasn't that she didn't want me to do what I loved. It's just that she loved her family so much. She loved us and wanted us close.
Since my grandmother's passing, I've realized that my grandmother has taught me a lot about love. She loved her kids, her grandkids, and all of their friends. She loved her family and her husband's family. The times at the funeral home and funeral were hard for me to understand how I was related to someone because so many of my grandfather's family was there as well. My grandmother was full of love.
Christmas is always a special time for my family. I am thankful that even when in Hong Kong I was able to fly home to be a part of it. There isn't anything big that is planned on Christmas morning. It's just time for us to be together as a family. Each Christmas morning, we spend time at my grandmother's. All of her kids and grandkids together. I know it was a highlight of her year just because we were there.
I loved my grandmother very much. I already miss her a lot. Even though I didn't spend a lot of time with her these last few years, I knew she was there. I always made sure to give time when I called her because phone calls would be at least 20 minutes long. I'll miss those phone calls, especially as I drive.
I am thankful for her. I'm thankful for what she taught me about love, in particular about loving family. I'll miss visiting her at her house and the many things that are familiar there. Most importantly, I'm thankful that she loved Jesus. I will see her again. It is a great hope and assurance that I can rest on in the many times that I miss her. She was a wonderful lady and I'm so thankful she was my grandmother.
No comments:
Post a Comment