Today, I learned that my undergrad professor Dr. Prince passed away. I never shared Christ with her. I don't know if she was a believer. My heart is breaking.
Dr. Prince was an intelligent and confident woman. Although intimidating at times, I learned that she truly had a heart for literacy. She desired for those college students that sat in her class to understand how to teach reading and writing so that the students in their elementary school classes would have a strong reading and writing teacher. I learned a lot from her and because of the high expectations she set for her students I learned more than I would have on my own. Her classes were challenging but looking back I wouldn't want it any other way.
However, Dr. Prince was more than a professor to me. She was also a childhood friend of my aunt. Our families knew each other and even though I didn't know much of that connection until I was a student in her class there was always the connection. Her brother and my dad were great friends growing up. It was there; something beyond the classroom connected us. And yet, I don't remember ever sharing my faith with her. I don't remember ever asking if she had a personal relationship with Jesus. If I believe (and I do) that the greatest thing that ever happened in my life was the day I realized my need for Jesus, that I was a sinner and that no matter how hard I tried I would never be able to do enough good things to cover the bad, that God offered grace and mercy to those that believe in Him and that through faith I could have eternal life with Him. The day I trusted Jesus and put my faith, hope, and love in Him was the greatest day in my life. And yet, I don't tell every one I meet. Beyond this, I believe the message of Jesus Christ is the greatest message and for those that do not believe in Jesus they will spend eternity in Hell. I believe this and I do not desire for any friend, enemy or acquaintance to spend eternity in Hell and I therefore should be sharing with all. Yet I don't.
God, I pray that I will change. That you will continue to refine me and that through the Holy Spirit you will guide me in how to share with others.
So today, my question for my friends, family, acquaintances, strangers, enemies, all that may read this: Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus or are you in the process?
If you are in the process, let me encourage you to please read through this website. It will guide you through the truths of the Bible. We are all sinners and because of this we owe a price. We owe death. Yet God showed His love for us and sent his son to die on the cross. God through His grace and mercy made a way for us. It is not through our works but through faith. It is through faith in Jesus Christ. Are you willing to turn from your sin and place your faith in Jesus right now?
No comments:
Post a Comment