It really is amazing the difference one student can make. Overall the beginning of the school year was terrible for me. I was beyond frustrated and ready to find another job. It is improving! It is still difficult but they are getting better. My class went from a class that could not sit longer than 20 seconds and complete work without someone in the classroom talking or being off task. They have now increased their reading time (time on task reading independently) to 12 minutes. We tried for more this week but it didn't work out so well. That doesn't concern me as much though because they are improving! They have also increased writing time to 10 minutes so far.
I now have 26 students and it's a lot to keep up with! When I had to complete progress reports a few weeks ago, I was beyond frustrated because a) four and a half weeks is to early to have a lot of assessments on students because you spend the time setting up routines and procedures and b) misbehavior in my class was out of control for the first three plus weeks that I hadn't really began to focus on academics. You cannot accomplish all that must be accomplished during the school year with a class that is out of control. It is more important for me to get my class under control before I could tackle the academics. I feel the same pressure as report cards are approaching! But my frustration comes from the state standards and the state and national expectations of education (however, this is a soap box of mine that I'm not going to launch into on this blog).
This past week was a much better week. I noticed better behavior and we were accomplishing a lot. I usually come home and sleep for a few hours each afternoon and this week I didn't at all. I had more energy and life was great. There was one big difference. 1 student. It really is amazing what a difference 1 student can make. One student has been very difficult for me this year and he sets off many in the classroom. Tuesday afternoon he was sent to the office during lunch and was actually not back in my classroom for various reasons until Friday after lunch. It is great to see my class doing better behaviorally but I know that I have to tackle this when that 1 student is in my class. It will be a long road to May and I already worry about the state CRCT tests.
However, as one student told me this week, "I don't have to pass." Many students know or reason that most fourth graders are promoted to fifth grade no matter what their grades are or tests results. This is for several reasons and has merit but it not completely true. Fourth graders are retained on a need be basis. It is not a year that is state-mandated for students to pass the CRCT like third and fifth grades. A difficulty with this is their attitude for fourth grade but I also have several students that are a grade to several grade below fourth grade levels in many subjects. To help guide their education through the demanding fourth grade curriculum, I also have to help them make the leaps and close the gaps that they already have. It's a lot of work and there just isn't enough time in the day.
In all of this, all I can focus on each week is seeing the improvements that my students make and continue to pray that God will guide me with how to help the students in my classroom.
Also, I'm sorry that I haven't posted lately. I take Saturdays for myself and don't do anything school related. During that time, I unpack and work on setting up my house. Almost daily, I realize how much I love my house. I love where I live. I love coming home and I love how it is beginning to look with many of my Asian keepsakes scattered throughout the house. I am looking forward to the slow process of framing my collection of artwork so that I can put it up on the walls. I also love living in the US again but I miss HK all the time. I'm just trying to figure out how I can get back to HK to visit.
No comments:
Post a Comment